Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dodgeball in the Dark


As a girl, I HATED Dodgeball. The boys knew that most girls were the weaker and easier target... I was definitely one of them. For most of us, "getting out" was a great blessing! I'm not so sure Dodgeball is any easier as an adult. We play Dodgeball everyday...in our spiritual life.

The other night I was watching, "Dude, What Would Happen?" (my boys love this show...such a guy show on doing crazy things that every boy wants to do...like being a human snowball!) Anyway, the question was "Dude, What Would Happen if you played Dodgeball in the dark?" Wow...cool...never thought of that. So, they proceeded to play a game of Dodgeball in the dark. Those launching the Dodgeballs had night goggles which allowed them to see the other team...but the "receiving" team was TOTALLY in the dark. The first thing I noticed as the night cameras gave us a glimpse of the "receiving" team was that they were TOTALLY overcome with fear. They couldn't see ANYTHING! Then the balls started coming at them hard...they had no idea what direction they were coming from. And to make matters worse, they kept running into each other!

I suddenly realized something in my own journey...I'm glad that I have the Light of Christ in this "spiritual Dodgeball" game of faith. The enemy is going to attack...there's no doubt about that. But, in the "Light," I'm better able to see where the attacks are coming from. I can better "dodge" what is coming at me. I can block the attacks of the enemy with the Word of God. I may still get hit, but I'm not walking around in fear...in the dark.

I can't imagine what it would be like to walk by faith in the dark...well, yes I can...I've done it. It's not fun. You get beat up alot...the fear and pain is relentless...and the enemy laughs in your face. I pray that we will take our Light and shine it in the darkest places for others. I pray that we will see others as our teammates, and at times, take one for the team. We can stand directly in the line of fire...we have God as our shield, our protector, our deliverer. Besides, we can take it... we know who has the victory! If God is for us...who dare be against us?-in life...or Dodgeball!



7 comments:

Loren said...

Cherie ~

What an awesome post! I love this and would have to agree ~ I hated playing this game in gym all those years ago.

So thankful we have an Ever Present HELP in our time of need no matter what is thrown our way....

Bless you friend

Cassandra Frear said...

From the Psalms . . . In His light, we see light.

From the Gospel of John . . . God is light and there is no darkness in Him.

He is utterly faithful. How grateful I am for this.

alicia said...

The word "dodgeball" still causes me to shudder! I do think that being in the dark would even the playing field a bit, but admit I would only like it as the one throwing, not receiving.

So thankful for the unconditional light that is provided for us!

Darcie said...

What a great post...and yes I was one of the many girls out there that just dreaded the dodge ball unit in gym.

Love how you brought it out in a spiritual light...so many lessons in everyday life that we can carry over to our spiritual life, huh?

Terri Tiffany said...

Cheri,
I really like this analogy. I do feel like some days though I'm in the dark playing dodgeball and one will whack me out of the darkness. But thankfully, I can turn on the light and see what I need to do.
I hated dodge ball too--I was too small and didn't even count.

Unknown said...

Great analogy, Cherie! It's so comforting to know that Christ and His Word are a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path! No need to play dodgeball in the dark when we have His light!! Blessings to you and have a great weekend!

Barbara Frone said...

Yes, our enemy who likes to throw dodgeballs at us all day long, but we are not ignorant of his devices because God told us all about him in his word. When those "fiery darts" come into my mind to get my mind off God and onto temporal things, I immediately "captive it" and throw it out. Thank you, Jesus, for teaching us how to fight our enemy.

Post a Comment

I am so blessed that you would take the time to share your thoughts with me! You encourage my faith and I pray that God will fill you to the full with His love, mercy,and grace! With joy, Cherie

| Top ↑ |