Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It Changes Everything


I'll just come right out with it . . . if I didn't have the Word of God and my personal relationship with Him, I'd be lost out at sea. (and I wouldn't last long there) Through the storms of life, there is seldom anything you can do, but trust in the One who controls and calms them. We've seen the horrifying destruction in Japan this past week, and our hearts have poured out in prayer to the people who are consumed with greater pain, sorrow, and fear, than we can possibly imagine.

Storms. They often come from out of nowhere, unexpectedly, without warning. Our instinct is to grab hold of something, as the torrential waves threaten to drown us. But, it's not "something" we should grab hold of . . . but "Someone." . . . The One who holds the universe in motion. We may not understand the "whys" of life . . .  but we know the One who uses ALL things for good. I'm reminded of 2 Corinthians 4:17:

"Our suffering is light and temporary and is producing for us an eternal glory that is greater than anything we can imagine."

Through the storm, God is there. You might find Him asleep in the back of the boat . . . but He's in control. He knew that the storm would come, He knew the fear that would overwhelm you . . . (He asked you to step into the boat, remember?)  . . . He knows how long the storm will last, and He knows that He'll take you safely THROUGH it. It's in the storm where He will show you the importance of His presence and power in your life. He wants to show you what it's REALLY like to live by faith in Him . . . when you've grasped, even for a moment, what it's like to walk on the water . . . you'll get a glimpse of what it's like to look through His eyes. In the storm you may be blinded by the wind and rain, but through God's eyes you will see the storm in a much different Light. He'll take you above it all . . . the storms of life look much different with an aerial view! You may never understand the full purpose of the storm, you may question God's ways and try to convince Him that there is another way than through the storm, but God is God . . . He knows what He's doing. Our only responsibility is to trust Him. Don't look at the raging waves, don't look at the roaring winds approaching . . . if you do, you'll sink. In your storm, Jesus is there with you and He's reaching out to you saying:

"Why did you doubt?" (Matthew 14:31)


"Don't be afraid! Take Courage! I am here!"
(Matthew 14:27)

(If you haven't met Debbie over at Heart Choices, I encourage you to do so. She's a wonderful christian woman that will encourage your faith! She used my quote (above) from "Be Still: Let Jesus Calm Your Storms" as she hosted "In Other Words Tuesday." You'll be inspired and encouraged through the comments on it!)

Also, if you or someone you know is
in a storm of life . . .
be sure to pick up my book,
"Be Still: Let Jesus Calm Your Storms!"

14 comments:

Debbie Petras said...

I am clinging to the Lord in the midst of my storms. Just when I think there will be a reprieve, it seems another wave comes along. I want to trust God and be an example for those in my close circle of influence who don't know Him yet. There are times when I feel I'm not a good example.

Thank the Lord for His grace, mercy and forgiveness. It's interesting that the topics I write about are usually the ones I struggle with.

Your book Cherie has been such a help and comfort to me. I love that you always point to Jesus and you use Scripture throughout. I've recommended your book many times to others. And did you know that the book was a gift to me from a blogging friend who thought it would help me?

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Debbie Petras said...

Sorry to come back to add this in a second comment but I didn't know how to contact you. Here's a link to another post I wrote about your book "Be Still".
http://www.heartchoices.com/2011/02/seasons-of-life.html

Blessings and love,
Debbie

PS Keep on writing Cherie!

Unknown said...

Hey Cherie,

Thanks for your thoughts on Joseph on my blog. You always have something thought-provoking and practical to add!

I appreciate you, and I'm praying for you today. Don't know what all is going on in your life, but you can't write as you write without walking through some fire!

Your life is a blessing and an encouragement to mine!

Blessings to you today,
Melanie

alicia said...

Quite awhile ago I remember writing about storms... it was raging outside and my daughter who was 6 at the time prayed that the storms may go well. It struck me then that no matter how much we don't want the storms, we need to endure them and just ask for God to hold us during those times.
Great post, Cherie!
Blessings!

Cherie Hill said...

Debbie, Melanie, Alicia, you all are such blessings in my life! I'm dropping by to visit each of you!BIG HUGS!
Cherie

ML said...

I loved your book "Be Still". I still refer to it when I am needing a reference back to my bible to help me calm my storms in life.

I so loved it and continue to receive encouragement from it.

Thank you!
Lots of Hugs!

ML

Connie Arnold said...

We all have storms in our lives sometime, and at times very devastating ones. Thank you for the encouraging reminder about Jesus being there, Cherie.

Linda said...

Cherie, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I have enjoyed getting acquainted with your blog, too, and look forward to following it. Your books like like must-reads! I can hardly wait to order them. And I send thanks to Debbie for connecting you with me!

Be of good cheer,
Linda

Fliterary said...

Beautiful post, Cherie. Such wonderful reminders that no matter how rough the storm, we are forever safe with God.

Hugs and blessings to you!

Andrea K. Van Ye said...

Thanks, Cherie, for stopping by and adding to to my post on the Lord's silence. You are so right! In regards to storms, the thing that brings me such great comfort in this passage "Jesus Calms the Storm," is that the storm did not catch Jesus off guard. He knew that it was going to happen! Sometimes when I am washed over in my storm, I remember that He is in control. Nothing comes to us outside of the hand of God. Praise God for you and your desire to share His truths to a hurting world. Praying for you, sister.

Just Be Real said...

I have enjoyed reading some of your entries here very much. A lot to chew on. Yeah, if I did not have Christ in my life, for one thing you would never be reading this comment.

Blessings to you and yours.

Unknown said...

Boy , as humans we want to UNDERSTAND our storms,,and know what the results will be,,I am in that mode right now.. with this move,,I just dont know what God has in store for me.. and I dont know well with the Un~known.lol... I like to plan and schedule,,and God has me on a day by day schedule.lol.
well I trust him , and I know he has something up his sleeve,,I just have to be patient, and thank him in advance for his gifts..
Love ya my friend.. great post..
and and by the way..great new profile pic..God made you so pretty.. :) inside and out..

Deborah Ann said...

Excellent post, Cherie. So often we want to control the situation, to see the outcome in advance. But God's ways are higher than ours, and we won't always understand. But for the grace of God go I ....

Cherie Hill said...

Dropping by to visit each of you my dear friends. You all strengthen my faith!
Big hugs!
Cherie

Post a Comment

I am so blessed that you would take the time to share your thoughts with me! You encourage my faith and I pray that God will fill you to the full with His love, mercy,and grace! With joy, Cherie

| Top ↑ |