Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Your Trail

Have you ever thought about the trails in your life? You might be wondering what in the world I'm talking about. You see, I hear  A LOT (and receive emails through my ministry) about people wanting God's hand to move in their life...but somehow, I can't seem to find where it is that they've let God IN their life. God only seems important in times of need...to make the committment to have a "relationship" with Him just isn't convenient in our "hurried" world. We cling to God for what He gives...not Who He is. We tend to worship our hopes and dreams, instead of worshipping our Heavenly Father. And we must be careful...God has warned us that if we place ANYTHING higher than Him...He will "let us go"...He will "let us alone"...to indulge in that we long for.

"Ephraim is joined to his idols; let him alone." Hosea 4:17 (READ HOSEA 4 in its entirety!)

The consequences can be beyond devastating, so we must take a look at our "trails."

Louie Giglio suggests that in order to keep "idols" out of your life...to keep from pursuing something other than God we must look at our "trials":

* Time- how you spend most of the hours ofyour day (working, watching, TV, gardening, the internet)
* Affections- what you care most about, what relationship you nurture (your spouse, your children, friends)
* Energy-what you work and play hardest at (the gym, your job, hobbies, helping people)
* Money- what your bank statement says about where your moeny goes (saving for the future, eating out, tithing, entertainment, missions)
* Allegiance- what you're most loyal to (your church, your job, your family, yourself)

Louie says, follow the trails of all these things and at the end of that trail you'll find a throne; and whatever-or whomever- is on that throne is what's of highest value to you. It's your ultimate IDOL. (Not the "American" one-Go Lee!!! : )

So, where does your trail lead? We only get "God-Kind" of results with "God-Kind" of faith...one that lives for and longs for an awesome, loving, merciful, and gracious Heavenly Father who doesn't NEED us...but wants us. It's a love beyond words. Surely, we can place Him above all else in our lives. He's not interested in part of you...He wants ALL of you!

Scriptures to Consider:
"Son of man, these people are devoted to their idols, and they are allowing themselves to fall into sin. Should they be allowed to ask me for help? Ezekiel 14:3

"because they rejected My ordinances, and as for My statutes, they did not walk in them; they even profaned My sabbaths, for their heart continually went after their idols." Ezekiel 20:16

"They will throw their silver and gold into the streets like garbage. Their silver and gold won't be able to rescue them on the day of the LORD's anger. It will no longer satisfy their hunger or fill their stomachs. Their silver and gold caused them to fall into sin." Ezekiel 7:19

"They called for help, but no one came to their rescue. They even cried to the LORD, but he refused to answer." Psalm 18:41

"So are the paths of all who forget God; And the hope of the godless will perish," Job 8:13

8 comments:

Karen said...

My prayer is that my trail leads to the feet of my Saviour...and that others...my family especially... will see my tracks and want to follow that trail and join me....

Billy Coffey said...

Lots and lots for me to ponder after reading this post. That's a good thing.

Heaven said...

Wow, thanks for your comment on my post. As I read your post, I realized my idol was the marriage I wanted God to restore. My focus became on him and not HIM! God does long to lavish love and good things on His kids, but not if they take the place of Him. Sounds like your newest book is one that I need to read:) Blessings, Heaven

Fliterary said...

Love this, Cherie! I soooo long for my journey and trail to lead straight to God. Diligence is needed to maintain a relationship with Him. And oh my, how He wonderfully rewards those who follow His path with spiritual blessings in abundance.

Love and hugs, sweet friend!

trudi jane said...

this blog post has caught my attention and stirred my heart...some soul searching to do i think!thanks for posting it :-)

Barbara Frone said...

Wow, after reading this, I realized I do have one big idol in my life that needs to go. I am so glad I found your blog today. It's awesome.

Cherie Hill said...

Barbara . . . thank you for hanging out around my blog today! So glad that God is speaking to you in the same way He has spoken to me! He is so awesome!
Blessings,
Cherie

Paula Greene said...

This is so true!! I think I need to evaluate my trails (my time, affections, energy, money, and allegiance) on a periodic basis just to make sure they lead in the right direction and that an idol hasn't slipped into place. Thanks for this post.

Post a Comment

I am so blessed that you would take the time to share your thoughts with me! You encourage my faith and I pray that God will fill you to the full with His love, mercy,and grace! With joy, Cherie

| Top ↑ |