Monday, April 26, 2010

What Kind of Person are YOU?


C.S. Lewis once said, "There will be two kinds of people in the end: Those that will say to God 'Thy will be done' and those to whom God will say 'All right then, have it your way.'"

It begs the question, "What kind of person are you?" In our times of despair, the enemy entices us to believe that we know better than God. Somehow, we get the impression that His throne is big enough for "two." As disappointment crashes in on us like Rogue Waves, we so easily give in to temptation and decide that we don't need to "drink the cup," we can pass on it. In doing so, we're convinced that our way is better...we falsely cling to the idea that we can bypass the suffering we're going through, or will go through in the future. We may even believe that we're praying "His will be done," but He knows our heart...we're praying that His will brings about our own.

Truth tells us, it's through our suffering that we will share in Christ's glory. The results aren't immediate, but they're permanent. We have the hope of glory because Christ did not try to take a "short cut"...He didn't try and do things "His way." In the end, He prayed, "Thy Will Be Done."

Dear friends, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you.  Instead, be very glad—for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing his glory when it is revealed to all the world.
1 Peter 4:12-19 (NLT)

As I daily come to the foot of the Cross, I am  reminded of how far I've come (I'm at His feet), yet I'm faced with the reality that I've so much further to go. Through this journey of faith, as I follow Christ...I'm confronted with my pride, as I realize that through every prayer I pray, I have a choice:
My will or God's.

7 comments:

NanaNor's said...

Blessings to you Cherie, Love this post because you are speaking the truth according to the Word, not the world. So many want the easy path, even churches preach this but it isn't the way of the Cross. Thank you for sharing today!
Hugs, Noreen

Jan Cline said...

Dont you just love C.S. Lewis?! Very thought provoking post. I just read in a book by Neil Anderson: "The path of truth begins with the truth of God's Word. Believe the truth and walk by faith according to what you believe, and then your feelings will line up with what you think and how you behave."
Blessings!

Unknown said...

This is great, Cherie! I'm always inspired by your posts (yes, and convicted, too!). I finished watching a DVD about suffering the other day, and found it so very hard to embrace. Even when we read verses like 1 Peter 4:12-19, it's hard to submit to the difficult situations that call us to the surrendered life. You're right, two cannot occupy the throne! God bless you as you continue pointing us to Him!

Billy Coffey said...

I love that quote by Lewis. I've often wondered if there is another kind of person between those two, the kind who surrenders to God's will not through choice, but through desperation and exhaustion. Sadly, that's often been my case.

Covnitkepr1 said...

I’ve enjoyed looking over your blog. I came across it through another blog I follow, and I'm glad I did. I am now a follower of yours as well. Feel free to look over my blog and perhaps become one as well.

TRUTH SHARER said...

Usually - I say "Thy will be done" but last night I found myself conplaining after He has asked me to do something I did not want to do - so I found myself in confession - after the night was ending - because all that I thought was negative - He was using for positive.

Reminds me now of the words penned:
"When I cannot trace Him - I will TRUST HIM!"

Choosing JOY, Stephanie

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Excellent post! I love C.S. Lewis too. This topic reminds me of _The Great Divorce_. You may have read it already, but it is a fantastic portrayal of what people look like when God says: "Have it your own way."

Post a Comment

I am so blessed that you would take the time to share your thoughts with me! You encourage my faith and I pray that God will fill you to the full with His love, mercy,and grace! With joy, Cherie

| Top ↑ |