Thursday, May 19, 2011

The "Letting Go" Prayer

So you've decided to trust God. You've surrendered your problems, faced your fears, and "cast" your burden. Only, what seems like moments later, your faith seems to have gotten snagged on doubt and despair and once again you're grasping onto the fear that God can't be trusted. You're not alone. All steps of faith are met with resistance. The walk of faith can seem like you're taking each step in quicksand. The very next step, if you even make it there, seems certain to take you under. 

We've all declared, "I'm letting go and letting God," but seldom do we. Our faith feels like we're on more of a roller coaster ride with God than  a "journey." But, we'll go round this mountain and continue in the valley, until we get it. "Getting it" means CONTINUING to surrender and cast your burdens each and every time the enemy reminds you of them. It is a "fight" of faith . . . there are no "knock outs." There will be endless "rounds." With each step of faith we take, the enemy will be right there to meet us . . .to remind us of all the pain, suffering, and unknowns. He'll ask us if there is any evidence that God is working on our behalf and if He is truly trustworthy. Don't be fooled by what you "see" . . . we're to trust in the "unseen." We're to trust in God, regardless of what our circumstances tell us. And God will allow us to be tested in this area, until we "get it." We must continually declare our faith, constantly cling to His Word, and faithfully trust that He is at work using ALL THINGS for good. 

That being said, as I've struggled in this area . . . I came across a "Letting Go" prayer written by Linda Evan Shepherd in her book, "When You Don't Know What to Pray." When I don't know what to pray, this is the prayer I will pray:

Dear Lord,
I've made a decision to trust You with my circumstances. I hand all control to You. I know that all things work together for the good of those who love you. Therefore, I'm willing to live through this difficulty, in Your strength and in Your power. I thank You that these very circumstances, which I've found difficult to bear, are being used by You for miracles beyond imagination. I give You my worry, regardless of how things look, feel, or seem. 
You decide the outcome
Thank You that this is now Your problem 
to do with what you will.
In the name of Jesus, Amen.

And with that said, prayed, and my heart surrendered . . .
I'm "letting go."





12 comments:

Paula Greene said...

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has trouble with the continuing part of letting go when I let go. I'm really trying to "get it" more consistently. This was very encouraging - thanks!!

Cherie Hill said...

I'll be praying for you Paula ... I am so glad my own faith challenges were able to encourage yours! ;)
Blessings,
Cherie

LisaShaw said...

Dearest Cherie,

Thank you for your visits to my blog recently and your warm words and thank you dear sister for sharing this powerful word with us today! I have often in ministering address the very phrase: "Let God Let God" because truth be told not only do we struggle to do it often but there are MANY Christians who don't have any idea how to really let go and let God. I know I lived that in the past until I truly learned and I still have times where the Holy Spirit reminds me that I gave it to God and then took it back (worrying, etc.) as if to suggest that I can handle it and He can't. Wow! He loves us and we can truly cast our cares upon Him! He can handle it!!!

Thank you for sharing the beautiful prayer with us as well.

I pray an abundance of God's favor over your life Cherie as you continue to encourage us in the faith and others whom God puts in your path.

Love you!
Lisa

Tammi said...

Dear Cherie. . .well, it is with a sigh of relief that I can write you here. The LORD knew that this is exactly what I needed to read at this very moment!! T H A N K Y O U!! you're such a special sister to me and what a timely word of encouragement! It's so true...DAILY we die to self.. daily we surrender our desires, dreams, our very "will" to His. I sometimes wish it could be a KNOCK OUT situation, where once I surrender, that's it. . .all is well with my soul, forever, but it's during these "ups and downs" that we are allowed to see what we're made of~ ("Dust") and we are allowed to get closer to the Lord. With more of "self" dying and yielding, MORE OF HIM will begin to shine forth from within our hearts. The more the struggle and the surrender, the deeper our love for Him grows, because we see just how PATIENT and FULL of MERCY and KINDNESS HE really is. Ahhh! This was such a refreshment to my soul!
Sending you a great big hug! And an overpriced, "fancy" coffee from that over-hyped "fancy-schmancy" coffee-house that shall not be mentioned! LOL ;o)
Love and hugs,
tammi

A multi-dimensional life said...

Amen! What a beautiful, refreshing post!
God is in control. When we run back to His word, shielded by faith, we expose the lies of the enemy!

Just Be Real said...

Needed to read this. Amen. Thank you for sharing dear.

Unknown said...

im going through it...right now as we speak, i just told my husband i gave it all to him, but i feel not at ease im still crying and im tired done with it, i just want the storm to pass and i know it will..... and ny husband tells me...you haven't truly let go he said you do then your an indian giver and you take it back....i m so glad i searched for how to truly give it to God and i found this..thank you....Sharmane,CA.

Cherie Hill said...

Sharmane, I will be praying for you. God is with you in the storm and He will carry you through. Trust and cling to Him at all times. I pray that you will use these trying times to draw near to God and allow Him to grow your faith. The Lord wastes nothing, especially our pain.
Praying God's peace and presence in your life,
Cherie

Quiet Riot said...

I'm glad that I read this...I said the prayer three times. I needed to read this, because for months I've been "trying" to control a situation that I have no control over, whatsoever. I didn't know what else to do. The message in church today was to give your overwhelming situations to God. I felt that I needed to finally let go and stop trying to control something I can't and give it to God. I'm trying my best, because I know that God has the answer.

macaroni 03 said...

Just came across this as I'm trying again to surrender my biggest concern in my life(my little grandchildren) I really am so glad God works through others and now even in technology. Thank you and I hope I can find this back later as I'm not on my computer. God Bless

Unknown said...

I bless the name of the most High God. He is worthy of our praise. My enemy is goin through a storm right now and am at the point where all hope is lost. BUT my God loves me so much I proclaim this everyday and I believe He is not asleep on my case and to all who are goin through one thing or the other. The Devil is the biggest liar and only tries to give Children of God situations so heavy. But God is bigger, he is a true God, He is so wonderful. And just by singing praises and thanking him ALONE can solve all problems. God bless you for this prayer and I pray the light of God continues to shine in everyword you preach. He is with you and at the End of the day I pray he has mercy on us all and tells us well done for NEVER losing Faith in him.

Unknown said...

After you let it go,is it okay to keep praying about it or would it still be considered holding on if you did'nt cease praying about it?

Post a Comment

I am so blessed that you would take the time to share your thoughts with me! You encourage my faith and I pray that God will fill you to the full with His love, mercy,and grace! With joy, Cherie

| Top ↑ |