Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Holding On


If you’re feeling like you’re “at the end of your rope,” then you’re right where God wants you. The problem is that we tend to hold onto the rope . . . when we should be grabbing hold of our faith in God. So, holding onto God, trusting Him, means “letting go.” Don’t believe me? Here’s an example:


There was a mountain climber who desperately wanted to conquer the Aconcagua and began climbing it after years of preparation. But, he wanted the glory to himself, so he went up alone. He started climbing and it became later and later. He didn’t prepare for camping, so he decided to keep going. Soon it grew very dark . . .

Night fell with heaviness at a very high altitude. Visibility was zero. Everything was black. There was no moon, and the stars were covered by clouds. As he was climbing a ridge at about 100 meters from the top, he slipped and fell. Falling rapidly, he could only see blotches of darkness that passed. He felt a terrible sensation of being sucked in by gravity.

He kept falling . . . and in those anguishing moments, good and bad memories passed through his mind. He thought certainly he would die. But then he felt a jolt that almost tore him in half. YES!! Like any good mountain climber he had staked himself with a long rope tied to his waist.

In those moments of stillness, suspended in the air, he had no other choice but to shout,


“HELP ME GOD! HELP ME”

God replied,
“Do you REALLY think that I can save you?”
 "OF COURSE, MY GOD!”

“Then let go of the rope
that is holding you up,”
God said.

There was another moment of silence and stillness.
The man gripped the rope even tighter.

The rescue team says that the next day they found,
a frozen mountain climber . . .
hanging strongly to a rope . . .
TWO FEET OFF THE GROUND.
(author unknown)


Chances are, in life, you’re either in a valley and headed to a mountain, or you’re climbing a mountain. We spend very little time on the mountaintops. (God doesn’t want us spending too much time there . . . we could get easily attached and decide to end our journey there.) It’s along our journey that we realize we haven’t prepared for the unexpected circumstances that we find ourselves in. We can find the ground beneath us pulled and the air within us knocked out. We didn’t expect to lose a job. We didn’t expect our home to be foreclosed upon. We didn’t expect our business to go under. We didn’t expect our spouse to leave. We didn’t expect our child to end up in jail. We didn’t expect to be betrayed by a dear friend. We didn’t expect death to take our loved one so early. But, in life, we can expect the unexpected. We can expect, at some point, we’re going to be hanging by a rope . . . and then, one day, find ourselves at the end of it. But, it’s as we’re hanging on for dear life that God is telling us to
“let go.”

You see, God knows you’ll fall. But, He knows He’s there to catch you . . . and your faith assures you He will. He wants us to let go of our pride that keeps us from seeking Him. He wants us to let go of the jealousy that keeps us striving for things of this world that only bring disappointment. He wants us to let go of finding our strength in people and things, hopes and desires, so that we might find our strength in Him alone.

When you’re at the end of your rope, ask yourself a few questions:

Do I trust God fully or does my faith waver?
Are His thoughts toward me good thoughts?
Will He reward me for diligently seeking Him?
Is He more willing to give to me than I am to receive?
Did He say He would supply all my needs at all times?
Did he say he would keep me from falling and present me faultless
before the Father’s throne?
Did Jesus say he would never leave me,
but would be with me to the end?

Your faith knows the answers. It’s time to let go of your fears by grabbing hold of your faith. It’s time to hold on . . . by letting go. It’s time to cast yourself completely on the Promises of God. Give God the opportunity to show you His faithfulness, peaceful presence, and unlimited power . . . by letting go of the rope. Loosen your grip on the things of this world and allow God to embrace you with His grace. It’s up to you . . . to just “let go.”

8 comments:

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Yes and Amen....after 49 years of life and 44 with the Lord I know all of this is so true. Thanks so much for putting it into words. I love the point that we spend very little time on the mountain top!!! If we did I am sure we would forget that anyone has valleys.
Thanks for your precious comment on my blog...it was also so true.
I enjoy the mountain top, but I grow in the valleys!!
Blessings

Cherie Hill said...

Thank you for your comment sister . . . you know the most fertile soil in the world is found in the valleys. Not surprising . . . God made it that way for a reason! :)
In Christ,
Cherie

alicia said...

Wow. So very powerful, Cherie. Such a great lesson. Yes, it is scary to let go and let God, but He carries us through. Thank you for this lesson today.
Blessings,
Alicia

NanaNor's said...

Dear Cherie, Loved this post! There are some songs from Valley Of Vision that also state we can only see stars at the darkest of night. Here in Colorado, we have a beautiful view of the Rockies but not if we are right up against them. Only as we let go and let God do His work will we see more of Him. Thank you for sharing dear one!
Hugs & love, Noreen

ML said...

Somedays I do feel like I am just holding on to by my last inch of rope. It's difficult these days to stay focused on God while everything else around us is in turmoil. It is painful to wait on God while He works His plans for us. I especially know that pain. But I know that God will see me through.

Thank you for the post today! It is amazing!

Blessings!

Stacy@hiswaynotmine said...

AMEN. Sometimes we have to learn this great and important lesson the hard way. I thank God that He doesn't give up on me and allows the hard times, the valleys, to pass before me. For in the valley you have to look up into the face of Jesus and our faith grows, we gain perseverence and endurance and are allowed the privilege to see the hand of God pull us up out of the valley...it only we let go of all else.

Thank you for this post today.

ceemee said...

What a wonderful reminder for me! Sometimes it truly is hard to let go of all the worries that we wish to solve all problems ourselves. But I know only God can see me through, not myself or anyone else.

Barbara Frone said...

Another awesome post and yes, it's time for me to let go and trust God.

Post a Comment

I am so blessed that you would take the time to share your thoughts with me! You encourage my faith and I pray that God will fill you to the full with His love, mercy,and grace! With joy, Cherie

| Top ↑ |