Wednesday, April 8, 2009

An Edge of Your Seat Experience! (book review)


Book Review by Cherie Hill (Thomas Nelson Book Reviewer)
My problem with "the rivers run dry" was this: It created an internal battle within me. After reading the first chapter, I couldn't decide whether to stay up all night reading it, or saver it over the next few weeks! After great struggle....I finished it in 24 hours. Every time I tried to put this book down, I was compelled to pick up within thirty seconds. Sibella Giorello is nothing less than a brilliant and talented writer.
I will share that I probably took more of an immediate interest in the story because the setting is in Issaquah, WA. I lived there for four years and it was incredibly awesome to read the author's description of the immediate setting as well as western and eastern Washington. I can tell you her descriptions were nothing less than perfect. Sibella Giorello's incredible talent in capturing the scene and bringing you into it is, at times, so gripping that you find yourself more deeply involved in the story than you ever expected. The characters are incredibly designed; each of them powerfully woven into the fantastic mystery that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Just when you think you've figured it all out, the author surprises you and the climax of the book isn't where you expect it.
In most of the Christian fiction that I've reviewed, I've noticed that there is usually a "hit you over the head with a Bible" kind of message, but in "the rivers run dry," the messages throughout were subtle, yet powerful. I think the true benefit of this type of presentation is that each reader can have a personal encounter with God. The way in which this "Christian" message is weaved allows each reader to open their heart and mind and examine their faith in a very personal way, without having a message crammed down their throat. This aspect of this book was incredibly appealing. I haven't read the author's first novel, but I can tell you, I am going to be buying it and getting up to speed for her third, "The Clouds Roll Away," which is to come out in 2010. This is absolutely a FANTASTIC read! You won't be disappointed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I am so blessed that you would take the time to share your thoughts with me! You encourage my faith and I pray that God will fill you to the full with His love, mercy,and grace! With joy, Cherie

| Top ↑ |