Saturday, November 29, 2008

What are You Preaching?

We've all heard the saying, "Practice what you preach," but as I spent time with God yesterday, I realized that it doesn't work that way. We've got it all wrong. It's what we "practice" that is our preaching. If we're "preaching" and our "practicing" isn't matching up...then we're preaching alright...but what are we saying.....what message are we preaching? Our message to the world through our lives comes not from what we say, but what we do. It comes not from saying that we "believe God," but by living like we do.

As I thought about the current situations in our lives and the countless emails I receive from people going through tremendously difficult times, I became saddened as I realized that most of these were people of faith who had very little, if any, faith in God in their circumstances. And their lack of faith sends a clear message to those around them. Many people who have declared their faith in God throughout the years are caving into the lies of the enemy.....giving in to doubt and despair....tempted to believe that God has abandoned them. We must never forget that we have no testimony without a test; those tests transform our lives into incredible testimonies to God's constant presence and unlimited power.

So, as I dug deeper, I realized that this was an issue I needed to address in my own walk of faith each and every day. Asking myself, "What am I preaching?" Not examining so much what I'm "saying," but what am I doing. I have always been a BIG believer that actions speak louder than words. I'm sure you've discovered that truth for yourself in your own life. There were some questions that came to mind as I pondered this who issue:



Is Christ being preached in my present trials and tribulations?

Does my family see the gospel at work in me? (or do they see panic, doubt, and despair)

How do I respond in times of affliction?



These questions reveal what we're preaching. The Apostle Paul found it the greatest joy to "fight the good fight." At the end of our lives, everything will be revealed to us, beginning to end. We will have the opportunity to look back and see which opportunities we called upon God and which ones we looked Him in th eyes and walked away. We'll have the ability to see those things we should have left behind, those things that kept us from moving forward in faith, clinging to the flesh instead of living by the Spirit. Paul said in Philippians 3:13, "But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead." It's the one thing we must do....it is impossible to trust God with our future if we do not first lay down our past. And that may simply mean laying down "yesterday." We've got to "leave it behind," even if it was just a situation a few minutes ago. So, even if we're not pleased with what we've been "preaching," God says, "leave it behind," and walk forward. Start today to trust God in ways that seem "unnatural." He is more than able to handle whatever you give Him.

We can preach our faith in God as we look forward to tommorow with confident assurance that God cares, that He keeps His Word, that He works all things together for good, that He is with us and will never forsake us, that His eye is on us, that His thoughts towards us are good, and that His Promises cannot fail. We've got to trust God with all of our tommorows.
He's given us forgiveness for the past,
faith for the future,
and grace for the present moment.
That is what our lives should be preaching!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I am so blessed that you would take the time to share your thoughts with me! You encourage my faith and I pray that God will fill you to the full with His love, mercy,and grace! With joy, Cherie

| Top ↑ |