Saturday, August 14, 2010

Faith and Doubt

I am without words to describe how powerful this book is. As a Christian, I have always feared doubt . . . after reading John Ortberg's "Faith and Doubt," I will never fear doubt again. Quite frankly, I'm upset it has taken me this long to read one of John Ortberg's books . . . now, I will read ALL of them!

The author captures your soul from the very first sentence, and then, you just simply can't let go of his every word. If you've ever doubted Christianity, Ortberg urges you to understand that there is no faith without doubt. And in all of God's wisdom, our need for faith is something far more valuable than we can possibly imagine. The author leads you into areas of your faith that bring you face to face with doubt . . . and doubt threatens the faith you cling to, unless you come to understand the "reason for believing." - but that's not the only reason for reading this book. : ) (you'll get that part when you read the book) The author will address questions that harbor in the depths of your soul, yet you're afraid to entertain. He addresses doubt with great stories, incredible philosophies, and a heart for God in order to bring you face to face with the maker of the universe. Your faith will find a firm foundation, as Ortberg teaches you not to fear doubt, but to embrace it.

This may be one of the most powerful books, when it comes to your faith in God, that you will ever read. You'll tell everyone you love about it . . . and you'll tell strangers about it. Trust me on this one . . . don't live another day walking through your journey of faith without reading this book. It WILL change your life.

6 comments:

Jan Cline said...

Wow, this sounds great. I think we all struggle with this and it's nice to have a new perspective to read.

Carrie said...

thank you for your tender words of empathy and encouragement today. I know I am not always a faithful commenter, but I do read your posts regularly and it always seems that God has a special word for me from you.
Bless you!

Nikki (Sarah) said...

sounds like a great book and I love the way you have this blog...like an open book..

Karen said...

Sounds like another good one...I enjoy your reviews...

Unknown said...

Sounds like a must read! I have been itching to read another book! Thanks for the review!

LisaShaw said...

Hi my newest friend,

This sounds powerful. Just your words alone makes me want to run to Books-A-Million especially being a book junkie. I love non-fiction, Christian based books that are BIBLE based in their teaching and based on what you're saying it sounds like this is one...I may have to check it out! I have a few that I'm in the midst of now...

Of course the BIBLE itself is my favorite on everything!

Bless you! Thanks for sharing with us so passionately. I'll let you know if I get the book.

Post a Comment

I am so blessed that you would take the time to share your thoughts with me! You encourage my faith and I pray that God will fill you to the full with His love, mercy,and grace! With joy, Cherie

| Top ↑ |