Sunday, October 16, 2011

Heroes and Villains (Book Review)

"Heroes and Villains" was not what I expected, unfortunately. I was looking forward to a book that helped children to see a "new" side of Biblical stories and characters they are familiar with. I was disappointed because there was virtually NO commentary whatsoever. The book uses Old and New Testament "Heroes and Villain" stories by simply taking excerpts from The International Children's Bible and adding wonderful illustrations. Truly, this is just a "Bible" that specializes in the "good guy/bad guy" portions of Scripture. At the end of each story there is a VERY short commentary and then a highlighted statement meant to "stick" with the young reader. Some of those statements are:
Heroes Know that God Never Lies
Heroes Know they Can Be Good Examples . . . Even When They are Angry
Heroes Walk With God
Heroes Believe that God Will Do Just What He Says He Will
Heroes Know They Must Stand Up for the Weak

This book is surely not intended for any child over 4th grade level. I'm not sure I would recommend this book. It leaves the "discussion" up to a parent/teacher/guardian. There are no thought provoking question sections and the commentary that a child reads is just too short. I loved the concept of this book . . . I just don't think it delivered.

*I was provided this book for free in exchange for my unbiased review through the Thomas Nelson BookSneeze Program.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I am so blessed that you would take the time to share your thoughts with me! You encourage my faith and I pray that God will fill you to the full with His love, mercy,and grace! With joy, Cherie

| Top ↑ |