Monday, November 14, 2011

Know Peace


Simple enough . . . if you don't know Jesus, you don't know peace. You may THINK you know peace, but until you've experienced the treacherous storms of life and found Jesus in them, you don't truly understand "peace." I used to think that peace was what you have BEFORE the storms of life hit . . . what God showed me was that TRUE peace is what you experience in the storm and after it's gone. And life's storms are God's opportunities to show us His Peace, True Peace. It's His opportunity to have Jesus show up, unexpectedly. It's His way of showing us Who is in control and where true peace can be found. Thomas Watson describes this best:

If God be our God, He will give us peace in trouble.
When there is a storm without, He will make peace within.
The world can create trouble in peace,
but God can create peace in trouble.


God uses the storms of life to strengthen our faith. He shows us the power of His peace IN the midst of the storm and increases our faith as we stand unscathed on the other side of it. Walking through the Red Sea should give you strength and peace for the journey, walking out of a fiery furnace would do the same, seeing Jesus walking on the water toward your capsizing boat would eliminate your doubts, and finding God's ever present and powerful hand upon you as you face your trials of life will carry you through the rest of it. He wants you to be assured that He is with you . . . and sometimes it is only by allowing the storm that He can do so. He uses the storms, the most trying times, to bring us to a place of declaring:

"The Lord is responsible for this and it is amazing to see."
Psalm 118:23



Paradoxical though it be,
only that man is at rest who attains it through conflict
This peace, born of conflict,
is not like the deadly hush preceding the tempest, 
but the serene and pure-aired quiet that follows it.
-Streams in the Desert, L.B. Cowan





5 comments:

Marja Verschoor-Meijers said...

Faith not tested is no faith at all, I've heard someone say. In the same way peace does not exist without war, you can't have one without the other. Great post, thanks!

Fliterary said...

Amen, Cherie! The faith tests have shown me more of God--more of Him in the storms, through the fires, and through the deep waters. I haven't liked my trials, but oh my they were so worth the difficulties to find more of God!!

Blessings and hugs to you, sweet sister!

Unknown said...

Beautiful and challenging, Cherie! Love your profound statement, "I used to think that peace was what you have BEFORE the storms of life hit . . . what God showed me was that TRUE peace is what you experience in the storm and after it's gone." Goes to show you that our thoughts are not His thoughts! Thanks for reminding me of the presence of Almighty God in the midst of our storms! God bless!

Just Be Real said...

Cherie I am right there with you. Amen.

Peggy said...

Blessings and greeting my dear Cherie... I'm so thankful that I know Jesus, and know His peace!
But I'm also thankful for you and that you would think of me this day and visit! Thanks Cherie!

I am so glad that our thanks and prayers are one in Him and His Word! (I have not forgotten our "little project" -lol)! However, today I give thanks to God for Cherie Hill and her beautiful family that He may embrace them completely with His love and aMazing Grace, filling Cherie to overflow and that all of His riches and favor will fall upon her this day and every day! Thank You LORD! (P.S....and thank you so much for her books; Be Still,
Waiting on God... and "Beginning at the End" continue to lead and guide her for more as You inspire her... Be Still has started a ripple effect from my blog, to a precious sister, to her own mother, who then has been sharing with so many others and blessing them in their 'storm' to BE STILL and KNOW YOUR PEACE!)

Love you Cherie and thanks,
Peggy
(sending again cuz I did not see it go or print or a message)

Post a Comment

I am so blessed that you would take the time to share your thoughts with me! You encourage my faith and I pray that God will fill you to the full with His love, mercy,and grace! With joy, Cherie

| Top ↑ |